In June 2018 our present Head of Primary will retire after eight years’ exceptional service, and as a result we are looking to appoint an experienced leader who will work closely with all members of the Primary team in its continued development.
The Sultan’s School was established in 1977 under the guidance of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said and today is recognised as one of the leading schools in the Middle East.
Over the last forty years the school has grown considerably and now has an enrolment close to 1200 students from Kindergarten to Year 13. The school offers a bi-lingual (Arabic and English) education that seeks to provide a broad and balanced education of the highest quality which reflects and strengthens Omani and Islamic culture, whilst encouraging an international outlook.
For administrative purposes the Primary School is divided into three sections: Kindergarten, Lower Primary (Years 1 to 3) and Upper Primary (Years 4 to 6), although it is our philosophy to consider ourselves as one school. At present there are just over 600 students in the primary section, with waiting lists in all year groups. The vast majority of our students join in Kindy and stay until graduation in Year 13. The school is very proud of the fact that our graduates attend some of the world’s leading universities and a number of our alumni hold prominent positions within Omani society.
The school is blessed with exceptional facilities and sits on one of the largest school campuses in the world. Over the last three years, the Board, in conjunction with the Senior Management Team have made a concerted effort to upgrade and expand the facilities. Over the last 18 months we have completely refurbished and expanded the library, upgraded the IBDP study centre, remodelled and expanded a number of the primary classrooms, expanded the swimming pool changing rooms, added a new cover over the pool, and constructed additional staff housing.
The school is presently undertaking the CIS Accreditation Self Study and expects to host its Team Visit in March 2018.
More information about the school can be found at www.sultansschool.org
The Head of Primary reports directly to the school’s Principal and is a member of the Senior Management Team. The Head of Primary, assisted by the Primary Management Team, helps to fulfil the school’s mission and vision, through the implementation and constant monitoring of the academic programmes. The Head of Primary is also expected to monitor staff performance.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
• Previous experience in a senior management role (Deputy Head or Head of Primary) is essential. Please note the school will not consider any applications that does not meet this criterion.
• A minimum of five years’ previous international experience.
• Knowledge and experience of school accreditation protocols.
• Knowledge and experience of strategic planning.
• A proven track record of building successful teams.
• A proven track record of improving academic standards.
• Extensive experience in leading effective change and growth.
• Knowledge and experience with curriculum development, timetabling, financial management and community relations.
• An understanding of Middle Eastern culture and values would be an advantage.
• A Master’s Degree in Education or Educational Leadership would also be an advantage.
We are looking for a dynamic leader who:
• has developed an educational philosophy that is entirely student centred.
• is passionate about education.
• is able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.
• has excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• has excellent listening skills.
• can develop highly effective teams.
• has an appreciation of cultural diversity.
• has a sense of humour.
• is ideally under the age of 55.
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits will be highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Full details will be forwarded to shortlisted candidates.
The deadline for applications is the 1st November 2017. Initial interviews will be conducted by telephone and/or SKYPE with the final interviews taking place in Muscat.
Candidates should note that The Sultan’s School reserves the right to make an early appointment, if an exceptional candidate is identified during the selection process. For this reason interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible opportunity.
Interested parties should submit the following as a single PDF document:
• Letter of Application (maximum of two pages)
• CV (maximum of two pages – to include family details)
• A recent photo
• A list of at least three professional references – the list should include their names, positions, current work email addresses and phone number. One of your referees must be from your present school.
Please mark the subject line of your application email APPLICATION FOR THE HEAD OF PRIMARY.
All this information should be sent to the School’s Principal (Dr. Glenn Canterford) at firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to included 2 ‘s’ in the email address)
Please DO NOT send any additional information at this time.